Wednesday, November 5, 2008

When it snows ... It really dumps

Last night before after work and before assuming my couch potato position to watch the election coverage, I ran to Wal-Mart (actually drove the car, I haven't been to the gym for several months so I probably couldn't run to the end of the driveway) with Sherrie. On the way home the front tire began to make a strange (flat sounding) noise. It looks as if somebody put a gash in my tire and it gave out a mile down the road (I would have preferred it completely slashed rather than it giving out part way home). It was dark and snowing so I decided that I wouldn't try and put the spare on, but would drive the Suburban to work. I tried starting the Suburban and it had been left in the driveway with an empty tank (wouldn't start). I had to run with the gas can to the gas station so I could put a little in the tank. After I put the gas in and successfully started the car, I realized that I still hadn't unhooked the back water hose. So in the freezing drizzle, I worked on getting the hose reel blown out and winterized. By the time I got back in the house Obama was already over 200 electoral votes (and with California, Oregon and Washington I knew he had enough - so I missed any excitement leading up to the announcement). So tonight I get to go home and hopefully find a tire in Tooele and change the tire on my car before it gets too dark.

Now that I have all my whining out (the blog is cheap therapy) I can focus on what's going on in my head. Now that I am ready to write something profound, I find my mind essentially empty (kind of like Testimony meeting when there are those long, long uncomfortable pauses between participants). I feel compelled to write something, anything, to squelch the silence. I feel happy and relieved that winter seems to have finally arrived. I have to admit that I was tired of caring for the yard and would like to settle in for several months of movie watching in front of the glow of the electric fireplace. I'm really not ready for Christmas yet. Usually I feel a surge of joyful anticipation when I hear the first Christmas songs on the radio. I turned the radio on the day after Halloween and was greeted by Christmas classics. Needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper. I really wanted to hear Celine Dion and the Pet Shop Boys, not Amy Grant singing a dreary carol. I went to Walmart last night (I'm getting old and find myself stating the same facts multiple times - I must think it important that any ready know that last night I went to Walmart - yikes!). Anyway, they had all the Christmas stuff up. Sherrie wanted to buy Christmas hot chocolate mugs. I'm okay with getting Christmas presents early (as a matter of fact I am almost done - it has to be done every year before Thanksgiving), but I can't buy the rest of the Christmas paraphernalia before Thanksgiving (the Hallmark ornament open house was always after Thanksgiving - I think- but it is probably in August now). So I've changed my radio station until after Thanksgiving (so now I have to listen to Linkin Park rather that Elton John). I've purposely left my Halloween lights on the house until I put up the Christmas ones (which may be before Thanksgiving depending on the weather - don't want to fall off the roof and break my neck). So I'm going to continue to enjoy the end of fall and first of winter, watch my flowers die and look forward to a nice Thanksgiving dinner.

No comments: