Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Jared Wednesday Update - July 22, 2009




Well, as a blogged earlier today, Jared (aka Elder Gibby) received a transfer and is now going to Oxford, Alabama. He has been in Gadsden for a while now so the transfer is bittersweet. He just celebrated the baptism and confirmation of a woman that they worked with for a long time, so it will be hard to leave his new convert in the hands of others to care for her.

He writes, "[t]ransfer calls were Tuesday morning and President Tate has given me a special assignment. I'm getting transferred over to Oxford, Alabama, I'll be the district leader over there, and I'm going to be training a brand new missionary. Whoo-hooo. I'm pretty nervous since I'm getting flushed in. The missionaries there are both getting transferred out and I'm going in. It will be like starting an area all over. I know that I can do it and I'm just putting my faith and trust in the Lord. I can do anything he asks of me.

"I'm sad to leave Gadsden. This area has been probably my favorite one so far. I've really learned a lot about how to be a missionary. It's crazy to see how much you learn and grow over a few months. Marlene was confirmed this past Sunday. It was an amazing experience. The spirit was so strong. We went to a church with her that night and that was a crazy experience. It was a church of God and they were all yelling and the preacher was screaming. They had two baptisms that were nuts. Marlene didn' really like it at all. She is thankful that she has found the truth and she knows the church is true.

"I've been going all over the place yesterday and will be tonight telling people bye and stuff. I've realized that I don't like hi's and goodbye's. I don't really know why."

He and his new companion, fresh out of the MTC, will both be new to the area. That will provide him with some unique challenges. I can see why President Tate put him in that area, in that way, as he is a highly motivated Elder and experienced great success in Gadsden.

No comments: