Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Hidden Trekkie in Me

I've never considered myself a Trekkie. I don't know that I've ever seen any of the Star Trek movies that have come out. I did, however, watch Star Trek (the original Star Trek) on TV religiously as a child. I have to say that it was my favorite of all shows. I even remember being bothered for weeks after watching an episode where a female character is imprisoned in an ice cave and could never leave it. Well, last night, after hearing good reviews, I ended my long-standing dismissal of Trek wannabie movies and took my kids to see the newest Star Trek movie. It came with high regards from my Bishop who took his wife and they really enjoyed it. We worked in the yard too long so we had to take in the late showing. Jordan went to the store beforehand and bought each of us a "theater" size candy (they even came in boxes). Needless to say, I had my box of candy finished before the previews were over. After spending a small fortune to admit four people to the movie theater, I wasn't up to taking out a loan to buy popcorn and drinks (I always think that I could just buy the movie DVD for less than a large popcorn and drink). We did all enjoy the movie. I am kind of like Simon Cowell on this one. I'm not sure that I would give it all the rave reviews that I had heard. The actors did an adequate job of representing the true Star Trek characters. I think Bones and Chekov did the best. I really didn't get the two Spock think except that it was a way to bring Leonard Nimoy into the movie. At any rate, we all had a fun time together and Sherrie won't have to endure it until it comes out on DVD and we watch it again. I am still asking myself it we should have seen Angels and Demons. I guess that question will remain unanswered since it is unprecedented for me to attend to full-price movies in any three month period (I really liked the dollar theater in Oregon. We could get in for 0.50 each on Monday nights, so we went to the movies often.)

No comments: