Monday, June 29, 2009

Manti Pageant

From 2009-06-27 001

I was able to attend the Manti Pageant on Saturday. I like to go down for this pageant every few years. It is fun to visit the little town of Manti and watch the show. I always forget that it gets over so late at night that I don't arrive home until about 3:00 in the morning. Hence, I am still recovering from an early morning drive home on Sunday. Sherrie and Jonathan went down. Jordan had to work on Saturday evening and Sarah didn't get off work on Saturday in time to go down. Britney and two of her roommates met us down there. I had hoped to stop and visit my sister, Rachelle, and her family who live just north of Manti. They had a soccer tournament so we stopped at the Ephraim Walmart instead. Sherrie was able to stock up on some more fabric for her holiday quilts. We found a bike for Jonathan (I'm not sure it was exactly what he wanted, but with how things get stolen in Tooele - his previous bike - I thought it prudent to buy a cheaper one). I was able to take the front wheel off the bike and maneuver it into the Subaru (although this disrupted Jonathan's bed on the backseat). We arrived in Manti at about 4:00 pm so we visited the little craft fair they hold in conjunction with the pageant. Fortunately, we didn't find anything we couldn't live without. Next stop was the turkey dinner that is a tradition with the pageant.
From 2009-06-27 001
I found the address and decided it was within walking distance (didn't want to lose my very good parking space). It turned out to be within walking distance, but barely. We were so hot and tired by the time we arrived all I really wanted was cold water. The dinner started at 5:00 and we arrived at 4:55 so it wasn't much of a wait until we ate. After dinner we started the "long" walk back to the temple grounds. We arrived at the gate at 5:55 which they opened at 6:00. Jonathan commented that our timing was pretty good. Sherrie made her way in as they opened the gate and procured us good seats near the front.
From 2009-06-27 001
Then began the wait. The show didn't start until 9:30 pm. Jonathan and I decided to do a little exploring. We found the "buried" cabin exhibit.
From 2009-06-27 001
It had shade from a large tree so we stayed there for a while. Then we decided to go up the hill and see what we could see from the top. We made our way to the top, where we could see most of Manti and the two spires of the temple looming over the crest of the hill.
From 2009-06-27 001
It was hot so we opted to return back down to the shade. We found our way back to Sherrie. Jonathan laid down on the grass where it was cooler. Finally the heat got to us so we headed out again to the find the concessions area to get fresh squeezed lemonade. The hot day was good for the lemonade business. They were selling them as fast as they could make them, even at $5 a glass. It was good and cold and quenched the thirst. Somehow we managed to kill three and a half hours. Britney and her roommates arrived a few minutes before the show started.
From 2009-06-27 001
From 2009-06-27 001
The pageant was good. Afterwords my good parking space paid off. We were able to get to the car and on the road in just a few minutes. Going down to Manti we went through Rush Valley and over the mountains through Eureka. On the way back I decided to stay on I-15 through SLC and I-80 to Tooele to avoid any potential drunk or otherwise impaired drivers on the rural, two-lane highways. By the time we arrived home at 3:00 am I was more than ready to go so sleep.

No comments: