Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My Eden

I just read my brother's blog. He blogged about how he deals with the difficulties he see in the world right now (economic, etc.). It started me thinking about how I feel about the world now. Maybe the blood pressure medicine has decreased blood flow to my brain to the point that I am semi-delusional. I haven't felt terribly traumatized by the financial problems currently plaguing the world. Because I limit my financial world to my online banking system, I am sure that I don't fully comprehend that extreme circumstances we find ourselves in perched on the edge of the "depression precipice." As long as I am able to meet my monthly financial obligations and throw money into the 401(k) hole (bottomless pit) I guess I am satisfied. Unlike most of my family (well, probably all of my family) I have different political leanings. I actually feel energized by the political season. I am excited to see history being made. I feel very hopeful and excited for the future of this country. Inside of my I just feel like things are going to get much better. I look at my children. I have so much to be grateful for and proud of. While it causes feelings of melancholy to watch your children leave home. I also feel so much happiness for them as they make good decisions and pursue courses that are going to improve their lives. While there are always rough spots in marriage, I am grateful and blessed to have married such a talented, beautiful and focused woman. She truly is the love of my life. I commented to Sherrie last night that while our house is not what I would have dreamed of 21 years ago when we were married (we had that house in Idaho Falls and Eugene), I have come to realize that property, houses, careers, eduction and other worldly pursuits are not nearly as important as one's spouse. With the economic downturn I may not have much to retire on (although I am confident that it will turn around again -it always does) but I have a companion by my side that I love so I won't need much. The political winds will continue to blow and change, and to be quite frank, in 46 years they haven't really had that much influence on my life (so I don't expect much influence in the next 46). I am happy to see my children grow and mature and I am anxiously looking forward to the day when I will get to play with my grandchildren. While the world is broiling in turmoil, I feel like I live in a little haven (my own little Garden of Eden in my backyard), nestled up against the mountains in Tooele, Utah (who ever though).

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

That's funny--that's pretty much the comment I made on Ken's blog: I don't really feel that affected by anything that happens out in the "world." Perhaps I'm too much in my bubble of "it doesn't affect me," but so far it hasn't. If I ever lose my job, maybe I'll feel differently, but right now I keep wondering what I'm supposed to be panicked about because everyone else seems to be panicked!

And for the record, I am not a Republican. Nor a Democrat. I'm my own little Independent me. Don't fence me in! ;-)