Friday, October 3, 2008

Surviving the Debates

I watched the Vice-Presidential Debate last night. It wasn't nearly as entertaining as I had hoped it might be. I did, however, find it very information (at least from the candidate who knew something). I have to admit I wasn't entirely sure about my decision (I still consider myself an independent). But after last night I am much more confident. I think that there may have been enough material for Tina Fey to give it another go on Saturday Night Live (I've haven't laughed that hard in a longtime as when I watched the videos of the first two performances.) I find it curious that the media is hesitant to criticize the Governor's performance, instead preferring to say that she was essentially successfully by not screwing up. What I saw was Senator Biden answering the questions that were asked and providing facts to back up his statements. What I endured from the Governor were repeating, pre-prepared mini-speeches, more often than not, not addressing the question posed. I did not see the grace, presence and professionalism that I would expect from a candidate at such a high level. By contrast, I watched the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, address the nation following the vote on the infamous bailout (I won't go into that rant here), and she was in an entirely different league, with poise and grace and authority. I didn't hear any "gotchas" or Joe Sixpack from her. Well, I can feel that I am spiraling down into a rant.

On a positive note, Survivor was on last night after the debates (I was so intent on watching the debate that I I thought I had to forgo watching Survivor). There wasn't much exciting that happened, but it helped to get me calmed down before I went to bed. Tonight Jordan is coming up from school. I am excited to see him. It will be fun to spend time together as a family and maybe even go out to dinner (that's why I'm so fat, we celebrate everything with food). Last night to celebrate the debate, Sherrie went and got us donuts (I think I ate a dozen - well, not really, but I could have).

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I'm a registered Independent and have no idea who I'm going to vote for. It's actually stressing me out a little. After hearing Obama's speech about abortion, I was going to go with McCain; but I don't have a ton of confidence in him--well, I don't have a ton of confidence in either. It's like making a choice between two evils. How did we get to this point?