Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Jared Wednesday Update - 09/02/09

Jared is right at the 2/3 completion point in his mission. The time really does seem to have gone by quickly. We receive his weekly email and things continue to go well for him in Oxford, Alabama. He will be getting a new Elder to train after just six weeks. President Tate told him that his is a good trainer. "Tuesday morning were transfer calls. I wasn’t expecting a call since I’ve only been here for 6 weeks and I figured I wasn’t going to go anywhere. President Tate called me and said, 'Elder Gibby, I have a new assignment for you. I want you to stay where you’re at and train another missionary.' He said, 'They keep turning out good and you’re popping out good ones.” I laughed and he said, “You’re going to have a great posterity!' So I’m staying here and not getting transferred and I’ll be training again."

Jared and Elder Deets were able to get a little sight seeing in before the transfer. "Last Wednesday Elder Deets and I went to Cheaha Mountain. We had a great time. It was a beautiful day and the man let us into the park for free. I didn’t have a dollar cash on me so he said “go and have a good time.” It was a really beautiful sight. We could see the rolling hills of Alabama for miles. They had this neat little observation tower they built on the very top of the mountain. I think it was probably about 3 stories high. It was cool."

While none of their teaching pool were able to attend Sunday Services they did have an unexpected visitor. "There was this guy, Tyler, who randomly showed up and sat on the last row. I went and sat by him and asked him who he came with. He said that he just came because the sign outside said visitors welcome. Unfortunately he is in the Anniston’s area but I gave him a BOM and committed him to read it and go on a church tour. So that was a neat experience." I guess people really do see the "Visitors Welcome" on the outside of the church buildings.

No comments: