Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I've Entered the Modern World

Well, I finally found the courage to enter the modern world of blogging. I'm still not sure where the term originated, but I'm gonna do it. This is kind of like bearing your soul to an audience of invisible people. I think I would probably rather speak in public than type to the unknown. Anyway, it should prove good therapy and maybe I won't be so neurotic about cleaning the floors at home!

This past weekend we went to the cabin in Island Park, Idaho. What a retreat! Whenever I go there I feel just like I leave the rest of the world and all its problems and care behind. I actually start having a sense of anxiety when the time to leave approaches. If I had the financial ability, I would probably just stay up there for months at a time, reading and taking pictures of the flowers and scenery. Sherrie and I took Sarah and Jonathan with us. Jordan had to stay home and work. Jared's girlfriend, Britney, also came with us. We didn't get off until late Thursday evening because we needed to wait for Britney's class at BYU to end. I think we pulled into the cabin driveway at about 1:30 in the morning. It is so dark up there and quiet that early in the morning. We had a lazy morning on Friday. I always eat my breakfast sitting on the front porch listening to the birds and wind in the trees. I guess living in Tennessee all those years left me with the hillbilly porch sitting approach to life. Anyway, it really doesn't get much better than sitting on the porch in a rocking chair, eating breakfast, watching the birds, squirrels and chipmunks play in the trees.

We went down to Idaho Falls to visit our friends, the Farnsworth's, and to watch fireworks. They have a great show sponsored by Melaleuca. It was fun, but getting out of Idaho Falls was a nightmare. We again arrived at the cabin at about 1:30 in the morning. I am really too old for late nights... Saturday the Farnsworth's came up to visit us at the cabin. Rick and I took several of the kids on the trail by the river to Coffee Pot Rapids. It was a nice walk, but I was so tired from two late nights. They left about 7:00 pm and I sat on the porch again. When I'm sitting there I really get to think (but because I am becoming aged, I can't remember what I thought about).

On the way back to Utah we stopped to visit Sherrie's dad. He was doing well although they took his electric wheelchair away. I think he is becoming to weak to control it, but he was in good spirits. I really don't know how much longer he will last. Each time we see him he seems to be weaker than the last.

It was good to get home. I am getting to be a real home body. I can see why Grandpa Gibby really didn't like to leave home. The whole time we were gone I was worried about my yard and plants. I found them all doing well thanks to Jordan who remembered to water them at least once while we were gone. Now I just need to sleep for about a week and I'll be recovered from my little vacation.....

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I'm very jealous! I need a cabin in the woods with a porch. Maybe I'd get some writing down. Ha! Who am I kidding? I'd just sit there and zone. Sounds wonderful! Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging!

p.s. This is my third attempt to get the stupid word verification letters right. Argh!