Thursday, March 26, 2009

Gladys Knight & the Pips



I was surprised that Jared had not heard of Gladys Knight before attending the concert in Alabama. But I guess I don't know all the groups that he listens (or listened) to. I would have loved to have been able to attend that concert. She had been a powerhouse in R&B for years. Not that widely known, Gladys Knight joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1997. It is purported that she occasionally teased LDS Church president, the late Gordon B. Hinckley, that his flock needs to inject some "pep" into their music. (I would have to say that I whole heartedly agree. I certainly hope that when I move on that the music in the next existence isn't so drab and somber. I think that we are very Amish-like in our approach to music.) Knight created and now directs the Mormon-themed choir Saints Unified Voices. SUV has released a Grammy Award-winning CD titled One Voice, and occasionally performs at the Mormon church firesides.

No comments: